Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why this blog?

What this blog is about
This blog is about trying to design and implement an instructional program for those preparing to take the interview to become a naturalized United States citizen. It is intended for ESOL coordinators, program directors, volunteer tutors and others responsible for helping applicants meet the final challenge in their quest for the security and opportunity of being an American.

Why it's needed
Many applicants don’t seek help until shortly before the interview, often not until they receive the appointment letter. This leaves weeks, not months, to prepare. If the applicants all came from English speaking countries there would be no need for them to come to us. They could simply buy a book or download a guide, study for a week or two, and then pass easily. But because many have limited facility in English they need help in the all-important skill of answering the questions of the interviewer that are based on the personal information contained in the application, as well as learning to answer the civics and history questions.

What is needed is a holistic approach that teaches grammar and vocabulary specifically targeted for the interview, together with the civics and history material, in a compressed time frame, with continual interaction in an English based conversational setting.

How it came to be
I began to tutor a citizenship group about two years ago after tutoring literacy and ESOL for three years. I tried to find a suitable syllabus to teach civics and history, thinking that was my mission. I based my early classes on USCIS and other material that I found. But then one of my students failed his interview for the second time because he could not understand and respond to simple questions from the interviewer. I realized then that the applicants needed more than just civics. I searched for an appropriate syllabus but could not find one. So I started to develop my own program that combines targeted ESOL, interview strategies, and American civics and history.

What my background is
I’m a volunteer at the Plainfield, NJ library with no formal teacher schooling beyond the ProLiteracy basic tutor training. My total academic teaching experience is two semesters of one course in a design school. The majority of my students are Latino. I am not bilingual but did recently study Spanish for several semesters at the local community college. I run a printing company and have a degree in art.

What a good outcome looks like
I want to develop a syllabus and collection of related materials that any program, tutor or student can access to simplify and standardize preparation for the interview.

Disclaimer
I am not an attorney, attorneys have not reviewed this blog, and nothing contained herein should be considered legal advice. If you think or suspect that an applicant has a situation that needs legal help, direct him or her to competent counsel. The views contained in this blog are mine alone and are not necessarily those of any group that I am affiliated with.

Call for comments
I need your help. Any comments or suggestions, positive or negative, are needed to shape and refine this project. Don’t hold back. Let me know what you think about what you see and what you would like to see. Point us to any sites or other material that you think will be helpful, especially on the ESOL side. Thanks.

No comments: